Friday, January 29, 2010

My First Blog - Yikes!

When you actually sit down to write your first blog, so many thoughts go through your mind; how can I make it catchy, should it be a show stopper, and will it stand up to all the other blogs out there?  It feels like the first time I had to get up in front of an audience and give a presentation.  (Those of you who've had to do it know exactly what I'm talking about). So I've decided to take the pressure off and let my first blog just be an introduction.  After all, I'm new at this, and I will get better as time goes by.


My mother was the most amazing seamstress.  There isn't anything she couldn't sew.  As a young girl, I remember sitting next to her for hours on end, watching her make wedding gowns, men's suits, and just about anything you could think of.  My doll had a wardrobe that would make any woman incredibly jealous!  As she became much older, her sewing days waned, and she moved into the craft world.  Once again, she could make anything she put her mind to.  She was a talented woman.  Many times she would try to persuade me to do crafts with her but I didn't think I had any talent, and I certainly didn't have the patience.  I was always glad to sing her praises, but my creative ability was...next to none. 


But she never gave up on me, and one day she roped me into making Christmas ornaments with her.  It was a tough start, but she was patient with me.  The more I made, the better I got at it.  I ended up having a great time, and she gave me the best gift I ever received.  She opened up the creativity hidden deep inside me.  She impressed upon me the more you work at it, the more creative you get.  My deepest regret is I should've gotten more involved with her sooner.  How I miss her!


It took some time, but I got my feet wet (so to speak).  I tried different creative projects, mostly on a small scale.  However, once I did a few of them, I was bored and moved on.  I tried cross-stitching, crocheting, and a few other things, but they just didn't hold my interest.  Then my BFF suggested I try ceramics.  OMG!  I loved it!  I made some of the most amazing pieces.  I hung in there for about five years, then I was just over it. 


One day I was looking for a gift for a very close friend of mine who was coming into town.  Nothing I looked at seemed right.  Then I saw this wreath...well out of my price range.   Hmmm, I thought.  I bet I could make that.  Off to Michael's!  I bought every thing I needed and put it together.  Wow!  I was rather surprised.  It turned out much better than I expected (and hoped for).  My roommate saw it and really encouraged me to make more.  A new hobby is born. 


What I have come to realize is we don't need to pigeon-hole ourselves into making one thing.  God gives each of us special gifts.  It is our responsibility to use them to the best of our ability, and hopefully, bless others with them.  There are just so many avenues we can utilize if we open ourselves up.  Any artist or crafter will tell you how great you feel once you've created something.  Whether someone buys what you've made, or you give it as a gift, there is nothing like seeing the joy in their face and the happiness it brings them. 


So I have created a tag line (a sort of motto).  "Creativity dresses the world".  Life - It's What You Imagine.

We each have a story - this is mine.  I hope you enjoyed the insight and I didn't bore you.  Next week I'll break out the snaps and show you what I do!

                                                Just imagine.....Linda

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous 1st post Linda! You have an amazing looking blog site. I am so proud of you and I cannot wait to read more and more of your blog. Congrats Linda - WTG!!!

    ReplyDelete