The first thing I did was find three of the mini papier mache round hat boxes. Unfortunately, when stacked on top of each other (upside down), there wasn't much room left on the edges. But I was determined to make it work. I then went looking for wedding type fabric. I remember my mother, who was an incredible seamstress, had her choice of fabric stores. There just aren't very many around anymore. I researched online and found wedding fabric, but the prices were astrominical. So off to Joann's, but they really didn't have anything "wedding". One of the gals there told me about a small little fabric store down in Huntington Beach. Success! I found the perfect fabric and it was on sale for $5 a yard - certainly less expensive than the $40 a yard I found online.
Now I would be remiss if I did not give full credit to my sweet sister-in-law, Ann Hart for helping me make the pattern, and cutting and sewing the actual coverings. You see I DO NOT SEW! My mother was the seamstress. I do everything else. To be fair, I only helped with about 25% of the sewing project. Ann did the rest. Thank you my sweet sister. You are awesome to behold! See here are some pictures of the wedding cake up to this point:
This wedding cake sits inside this lid. It's very snug and will definitely keep all the cards inside the cake. The bottom picture is the lid flipped over.
I decided because there was not much room on the flat tops of each layer, I would do a cascading effect on the side of the cake. This was the fun part.